Monday, July 23, 2012

The Evening of the Fireflies

Not my image
Sitting out on the stone terrace one evening in Santa Fiora (Italy), Keenan says with a little concern in his voice, "Mom, what is that light over there?"  Me, not really paying attention respond, "Just the neighbors house, Keen.  Not to worry."  "No Mom, over t-h-e-r-e in the garden."

Me - who can be easily excitable - jumps up, "Oh my God!!!! Those are fireflies!!!!  I've never seen a firefly before!!!!"  I am dancing around in my skin.  What delight and wonder.  Keenan and I caught one - it was just a wee little non-discript beetle with a glowing behind.  How marvelous.  I wouldn't mind a glowing behind (smiling).

As the evening fell to darkness more fireflies appeared.  It was really quite magical.  It was like the stars had come down to twinkle on the earth and the sky.  We didn't want to go to bed, and after we did go inside, we kept coming out for another peek.

I love this kind of magic!  So simple, so delightful.
Not my image

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I got to see my first firefly last year in Kansas City!
They were MAGICAL!!!!! I dream of the day we can see them together! ;)

Lynn Cohen said...

I love your story. What a wonderful one to remember...especially like your imagine of your having a sparkling behind! LOL
fun that you had to go all the way to Italy to see a firefly. Not sure I've seen one either.

Water Phoenix said...

Terry, I'm sooo happy this trip happened for you - after so many years of dreaming it. : ) Must share here a moment about fireflies. They are magical, and I'm blessed to have grown up with them, in NY state. After many firefly-less years on the West Coast, I visited a hot springs in southern Colorado. The source was at the top of a mountain, and I took Satya there, age 1, for a warm, underwater adventure under the night sky. As I came back down the mountain, I was astounded to see fireflies surrounding us! The main soaking pool was at the base of the mountain and I was sharing my amazement that there were fireflies there - as I'd never seen them this far West. A deep, friendly, old voice from one corner said "I brought 'em here 20 years ago..." He had! What the fireflies need is warm summer nights (which they don't have in CO) - and the hot springs provide that year-round! I still love the image of this pocket of fireflies in the West, just because someone intentionally introduced them to a climate well-suited to them. Sending twinkling summer love your family's way! - Sara