Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Flowers for a Friend

This was a commissioned piece that a customer decided they didn't want.  Incidentally, they never even saw the piece.  And that was OK.  When I agreed to make the piece I truly didn't need for them to purchase it.  I was happy to make it.  The interesting thing that I share in making this particular piece, was that I purposely tried to keep myself out of the piece.  I wanted it to be about them and not me.  
I liked the piece, but never loved it.  It just felt a wee flat to me.  That is probably why I didn't mind them not purchasing it.

I recently bought a frame and decided to frame it.  As I revisited this piece, I decided to add myself back into the image.  I LOVED doing this.  I poured all of me into it!  I put in all my sensuality, I put in all the complex emotions that I have felt since making this piece and the feelings I was feeling when I originally made the piece.

It was an amazing process.  There were times when I thought I really ruined the piece - almost ripped it up, almost white washed over it.  There were times I fought with it, times when I danced with it.

And in the end I absolutely fell in love with this piece.  It has so much more depth and feeling to it now.  It feels alive.  It is now framed and hanging in my front room.  It is the largest of the Flower Vase series.

It was a great lesson.  Keep me in the art.  All my parts - shadow and light.

No comments: