Sometimes, we think we know why we are somewhere. And sometimes, the Universe has plans we don't know about. That clearly happened at the Farmer's Market today. I went there to sell my wares and advertise my art and business. I did those things, but I also assisted in someones healing AND that assisted in my healing.
A woman walked into my booth this morning. I would guess she was about 65 or so. She was outwardly gregarious, but appeared to me to carry some past wounds. She was here for the UC Davis graduation. We chatted and she left.
Then, she came back again. We chatted, she bought a card and left.
She returned for a third time. This time, it was amazing watching her body language. She was picking at her clothing, clutching her arms, letting them go and fussing with her clothes again. Then, she started choking herself. She would put both of her hands up on her throat like she was choking herself. She kept doing it over and over, in-between fussing with the rest of her body.
I opened my heart to her and sent her ease. I sensed she was choking her words off. I wanted to be open for her - to receive what she had to say.
And then it poured out, she told me all about her best friend - who is dying. She described how for the past several years she has slowly watched her dear friend begin to loose her faculties. Last year she could use her hands, now she can't. This year, her friend is loosing her words. This seemed to really scare her. How would her friend communicate to her? How would she know what to do for her friend?
At this point we both started to cry. I stood up and held her. I assured her she would know what to do with her friend - and if she didn't - just love her. I told her to connect with her eyes and heart. I told her her friend would hear her and her words. We cried some more.
She told me her friend like her feet rubbed. She told me she used to take her friend to the beach and how they both loved that. Now, her friend is immobile and she herself is feeling her age and can't carry her.
I told her when you have a friend like this - you will find each other again. "But how will I know her?" she sobbed. "You will - you will recognize one another", I said. We cried some more.
She shared more and I held her story with honor. I truly felt blessed that she choose me to share this story with.
She then, began to apologize and say she way OK now. I assured her her vulnerability was beautiful and encouraged her not to shut it off. She left my booth lighter.
She returned a forth time. This time she bought a blessing flag for herself.
My heart was lifted. Another reminder of why I am here.
3 comments:
Terre - this is a wonderful thing that you shared - with her and again with us - thank you!
How fortunate that she was drawn to you and your art, or through your art. I wonder if she read about your stories and that some how let her know you'd understand her story!
A beautiful story Terre. You were meant to connect!
Post a Comment