Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Looking for White - I Find a Rainbow

I love the way linen feels  and it's rich texture.  I've been thinking of making blessing flags out of linen.  I think the weight of the linen will hang nicely and the way it frays so lovely will look great on a blessing flag.

Not thinking I would be able to find all the colors that inspire me, I thought I'd find white or off white linen and dye it.  I didn't want new linen, I wanted to use discarded clothes and give them new life as blessing or spirit flags.
This is what I found in my favorite second-hand store - the colors of the rainbow!  I must confess, not all of these finds are 100% linen.  Some are 50% linen and 50% rayon mix.  I just couldn't resist some of these colors.  Although, after doing some research on rayon and how it is processed, I think I will stick with the linen.  Even though rayon is made with natural fibers it is processed using heaving chemicals.
Plus, I have found it doesn't fray as nicely as the linen. But, just look at these reds and pinks...
yellows and oranges...
greens and blues and teals...and purple and violet...

I am experimenting making linen blessing flags with a little more spirit in them then my last ones.  I love my other flags, but I want to focus a little more on the sweetness of life, and feel like I can add some beauty and love and peace into our world.

I will post some of my flags soon.  I do have a couple of my new linen ones in my etsy shoppe.
Toot-a-loo
Terry

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I want you to put "Terry" on my blessing flags! YOU are Sweetness, Beauty and Love to me dear friend :)
I love your linens and looooove the idea of giving old things new life!
Just in time for Spring! Bring them on!

XOXOXO

Lynn Cohen said...

I agree these colors are heavenly warm and wonderful. Full of love and light that will all go into your blessing flags. Lovely!!!
Hope all is well with you.
PS the ARt About has a new coordinator, I got a letter, they are looking for people/artists...you might want to look into it.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

This is such a cool idea! I am making some 'peace' flags out of old cloth hankies...clean of course!