With heavy thoughts on my mind, I wandered through the Italian countryside, looking for some guidance. I found it in the whimsical flitting of butterflies dancing among the roadside weeds.
I was pulled out of my head and back into my heart. Watching the butterflies I felt reminded to infuse some levity into a seemingly dense situation.
As I continued on my walk I crossed a stone bridge. Below was an inviting, but scary, dried stream bed. I really wanted to go down into the stream bed. The fears that popped up were - I'm alone on this road, and I could get hurt down there and no one would know where I was. The whole female alone thing. I certainly felt safer being in Italy then in the United States.
The way down was pretty steep and narrow, also I knew the area had vipers. But I had such a yearning to go down there. Then, I saw a "herd" of butterflies, all flitting and dancing, inviting me down.
I was giddy with adventure once I made the decision to drop down in. It was like entering the Secret Garden. No one else was there, I had it all to myself and I was delighted. I found more butterflies, beautiful flowers, and the most amazing rocks. I have a thing for rocks. I like to carry them in my pockets. Sounds silly, I know, but they feel grounding to me.
Later that day I brought the family down to check it out. They loved it and seemed to have as much fun exploring the place as I did. It really was a lovely spot. And to top it off, they were all impressed that I had come down alone. Even hubby said he wouldn't have done it.
1 comment:
What a story you write! What bravery and what beauty it led you to. And how lovely to be able to share it with your family later. I love that you took these morning walks by yourself. What adventures you had. Happy for you!
Lovely photos too.
Post a Comment