Sunday, August 5, 2012

Roadside Altars

Roadside altar outside of Santa Fiora
There are altars everywhere in Italy - on the outside of houses, inside houses and on the roadsides.  I fell in love with these little altars.  I love the idea of blessing your place - be it your house or community.  Most of the altars seem to honor The Madonna.  I wish I had taken more pictures of them.  I think I want to do an art series about the altars.

I have a lot more I want to say about these altars, but it is still within me and hasn't quite surfaced.
A wee chicken altar
On the side of a roadside altar
Maybe St. Francis - On our Santa Fiora House.
I love that The Madonna is so revered.  Don't get me wrong, you still see lots of Jesus statues around, but  The Madonna seems to have the hearts.  More to say - I am sure - as I start playing with these images.
Altar on the side of our Santa Fiora House.
Of The Madonna and Child.
Not your typical altar - but an altar none the less.
The kitchen Altar.

5 comments:

Jill Stengel said...

So moving &mysterious, these little and big altars

Lynn Cohen said...

I sure would love to learn how you found the places you stayed. It all is so quaint and beautiful.

Lynn Cohen said...

Thanks Terry for that information. How far may I ask were you from big cities? Was it hard to get there from where you stayed? Although where you stayed looked so heavenly I think I would have been happy JUST staying THERE! You lived the local life it seems and it was so beautiful. It must have been culture shock coming home. I'd love to sit with you over a cup of tea sometime to hear all about your travels.

farmlady said...

These are beautiful photos. I love altars.
I'm so glad that you are on this trip... seeing and experiencing all of this.
Absorb and enjoy every moment.

Miss Becca said...

When we lived in Baja I took many photos of the roadside monumentos - I too am moved by them. I have a fantasy of creating a series of them and leaving them by the side of the road in a little canyon near my house in a Banksy style art attack. :)