Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lynnie Penny Popcorn


I made this piece this past summer, but noticed it wasn't up on my blog, soooo...




"Meet 
Lynnie Penny Popcorn
She lays golden eggs.
And when her eggs all hatch
Her chicks have golden legs."

I made this piece thinking of my mom and my aunt, both who died to soon.  But this is a joyous piece, celebrating their humorous loving sides.  

I learned that my aunts and uncles called my mom "Lynnie Penny Popcorn" when she was little.  Something to do with the fact that she was a majorette-baton-tw
irling-gal who got them to all the parades in town.

With the holidays just passing and the new year arriving I have been thinking of my mom.  She was great.  Not to say she didn't have her stuff - because she did - maybe even more then her fair share.  

She was funny.  I loved her wacky sense of humor.  She was so beautiful.  Her heart was so big.  She had space for all my friends.  Many of whom called her "mom-two" - meaning their second mom.  The kids of the neighborhood - we all hung out on our front porch, my mom feeding us all and putting up with all our teen drama.

I keep a photo of her next to my art space.  She was an artist too.  I show her what I am doing, and smile at her image.


I love you Lynnie Penny Popcorn - mom
Thanks for my golden legs 

1 comment:

Lynn Cohen said...

What a sweet tribute to your mother! She was beautiful...and I love her name (as I share a part of it with her, as Grandma Lynnie, is what my grandkids call me!)...
I think I saw this piece in your show...I like your poems and stories that go with your art quilts too.
I hope you will be making lots more in this new year.
Wishing you lots of happy, funfilled days of creating!