Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sword of Light - Meteor Stars

We are entering the Michaelmas season.  While I am not a traditionally religious person, I am a spiritual person and I love to take the metaphorical meaning of the old stories to heart.

During this time of year we are reminded to take the light of the summer (Michael's golden sword/truth) into our selves to tame or slay our inner dragons or the darkness of the winter.

The following is a description of Michaelmas from my son's kindergarden teacher (for the parents).  The children hear stories of Michael and his golden sword of light and how he slays the dragon and protects the village.  They have also been busy dying silk capes with walnuts (makes yellow) and carving out little swords of oak.  It is so exciting to be a kindergardener.  Sometimes I wish I could go back to that simple nurturing time.
 
"The heavenly iron (stars/meteors) sent to earth by the sword of the Arch Angel Michael is an image that says-While the physical world (the dragon) is a necessary stage for the human being the spiritual qualities of courage and responsibility are essential to lift humanity from self centered egoism, exploitation of the earth and others, and materialistic thinking.  It is the spiritual iron (stars/meteors) of Michael that gives us courage and strength to develop selflessness and service to  do what is right by our world and our neighbor."

2 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Sounds like healthy politics to me...or should I say just good ethics/morals/positive life forces and choices.
And they teach this in kindergarden? Wow!

Jill said...

Hi,,, hmmm reading your blog, is so supportive to me... I love the wisdom, grace and love the words hold,

I am so grateful to know you, to wlk along side of you...

much love Jill