Ouch... Spent Saturday in Napa for the annual "Napa Wine and Crafts Faire". I think I was on Wall Street, while the other artisans were on "Yipee-Skippy" Street. It has me thinking of how I sell my art. I love doing this and I really want to make this work for myself and family. There was a wonderful leather artist (Jessica Zoutendijk) next to me who had some good insight - about weathering through these economic times, because the larger market for hand-crafted, quality items is on the upswing.
I think I also have noticed that people want to buy arts and crafts, but with these tough times are choosing functional arts and crafts pieces. My pieces, though I love them, aren't real functional.
I must say it has me a little nervous about my upcoming shows in October, November and December. Not sure my ego can take another hit like Napa. As it was, my hubby had to send me out of the house for a time-out. At least the movie "Mamma Mia" was still playing and I got to have my time-out in Greece.
So off to the Studio to figure out just how I am going to pay for our Italian farm house. (actually I'm off to pick up my little guy from Kindergarden)
Ciao Bellas
5 comments:
Terry, I am sorry your experience in Napa was so poor. I'd hang in there over the holidays as people might see your art as great for gifts.
I know the art gallery here is not selling art now as it once did in better economic times. I haven't seen any sales from gift shop there either. We can hope this changes as the economy picks up. So don't give up your Italian farm house dream just yet. Just know it might take a while. I'd open an ETSY store on line if I were you, you'll reach a wider audience and you are in an area where people are appreciating art! Something to consider. Good luck. Your art is awesome. It just needs to find the right buyers.
Thanks Lynn,
Yes, I was thinking of an ETSY store. I'm in the process of getting my images etc together, so hopefully that will be up soon. Thanks for your support. Good to have people to haul you up off the pavement every once in a while.
Terry
I think the idea of opening a store on ETSY is a good idea. Don't be discouraged. It IS the economy. I spent a very horrible hot day in Sutter Creek this summer and sold nothing. It does make you think differently about what you do and how you can change, but please don't doubt yourself. Murphy and I think you're the best.
It's slow all over, including gallery and illustration work - that includes my rep group in NYC who have been around 20 years. Hang in there. Don't change your work for 'what might selll;. Maybe add some things, but always do your own thing. I know how it can be. Been freelancing since '96, and I find wearing aprons and drinking red wine at night help. Donkey hugs to you.
Aprons, wine and donkeys -just what the doctor ordered.
Thanks for all the support everyone. I really am needing it right now.
Terry
Post a Comment