Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Get To Drive Next

This piece was inspired by my walking the two doggies (Manni & Marley) one night, and thinking that they need a story too. 

I used to tell the children that our dogs knew how to drive and that they would take off and drive our couch when we were out and about.  At the time they believed me, but now, at five and eight years old it's a little tougher to fool them.
  
Although my five year old will come up to me later and ask, "Mom, do they really drive the couch?"  "No Sweetie, but they do know how to drive the car".    
My honey-bunny husband also used to have a VW bus and did the whole surfer scene thing.  I even used a picture of his old bus to design my bus from. 

This piece has a lot of recycled materials in it. An old dress of mine for the sky old wool sweaters for the bus, dogs, road and board.  The ocean and the border are new materials.



I Get To Drive Next
When the family is not about
The doggies they do roam
They hop in the V.W. bus
and head out far from home.

3 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

sweaters and dresses huh? I thought the grey might be felt.
You are quite the artistist!
and telling your kids these stories, they will remember them forever. My son still thinks I had eyes behind my head and could see what he was doing at all times. ;-)
(and he's 44 now!) Tee hee.
do the songs, and poems and stories come first and then the drawings and fabric piece. I think so.

Terre Busse said...

I felt up the old sweaters so yes they are felt.
Yes, my mom had eyes in the back of her head too. One thing I have learned now being a mom is that your children are so obvious in all they do, sep when up to trouble - that you don't really need eyes in the back of your head - they give themselves away.
Good to keep those kids on their toes even if they are 44.
Terry

Lynn Cohen said...

;-)
see ya tomorrow at the art center.
So excited to know I get to see your work up close. And to meet the artist herself! Lucky me.